Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Avoid The Gurus

I've been in this business for quite some time and I've spent a LOT of money and time on seminars, workshops, bootcamps and the like.

My advice: Avoid The "Gurus"

Time and again, the best value I've received has been from folks who have been "in the trenches" for years and only teach a course every now and then because they like the mental stimulation that comes from interacting with other investors.



Here is my Listmania List of Top Real Estate Books For Investors. You should take a look now. I suggest you add the books referenced there to your wish list on Amazon, even if you're not ready to buy one at the moment. That way, when you are ready, they're already there to pop into your shopping cart!



If you're being asked to plunk down $5,000 to $15,000 for some "platinum level bootcamp" run the other way.

The best seminar I ever took lasted all weekend and was put on by Jack Miller (who has since passed away). I think I paid $350 and the information I got was pure gold.

Real Estate Speakers I have attended and feel provide great value:

Mark Warda/Jack Shea on Land Trusts and Section 1031 Exchanges
John Schaub on single family home investing (John used to do seminars with Jack Miller)
Pete Fortunato (anything by Pete is good, but be sure to take really good notes and ask questions)
Dyches Bottiford (trusts and entity structuring. Dyches is a bit pricey, but he still delivers good value)

I have not taken a course from David Tillney, however I understand his sandwich lease/option course is outstanding.

2 comments:

  1. If you have a chance to get hold of anything by Barney Zick - probably on eBay now as he has passed, it is pure gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I have his notes course. It's one of the best.

      Delete